Saturday, October 17, 2015

Rush



I feel weak.

The pace of this life that I live, has me exhausted!  This past week, I had so much going on; between my own obligations, my day job, my ministry, my kids' schedules and events.....There were a few days that I didn't get lunch, and I was going full speed, every day, from 6am-10pm, without even sitting down! 

I am willing to bet that many of you have had times like that. Sometimes, when we over-commit ourselves and our family members, and devote much more time to 'perceived obligations', than to taking care of ourselves and our loved ones; we can feel major burn out. 

This past week, I thought I was fighting the burn out well.  I was already 3 very full, busy days into the week, and felt calm and collected, and able to keep on moving forward through this crazy busy life!   Then, it happened..... My son's school called, as I was going about my day job diligently.....to remind me that I was late for a very important meeting!  A meeting that I had asked for, and prayed for, for 4 years.  There were 5 professionals waiting for me, a 20 minute drive away, and I had forgotten all about it! Completely forgot.....

As I ran from my desk to my car, and called in backups; I felt more rushed and exhausted than ever!  I felt panic and I felt powerless.   I felt embarrassed, and like such a failure, for having forgotten about such a very important meeting! 

I jogged into the meeting, short of breath, and profusely apologized from the humbled, embarrassed depth of my heart!  The meeting went well, and thank God that the individuals in attendance all waited for me to arrive!  This meeting truly had been in the making for 4 years....

As I left the meeting, pleased with the outcome.....I felt an empowerment come over me.  It was stemming from the realization that I was so mentally weak, from 'life' the days before, that I had "checked out" on the most important event in my week!  At that point, I felt strength and motivation overcome me...... I looked back at all of the 'busy-ness' on my calendar.....all of the 'perceived obligations' that stole my time from me; and I prayed for God to give me the strength to discern the difference between the events on my calendar that are truly "optional" and the events that are non-negotiable. 

Right in that time of weakness and deep embarrassment; the Lord made clear to me, once again, which items on my calendar are worth the "rush" associated with making them happen, and which are not.   The strength within me, to say "No" to the 'perceived obligations', and always an emphatic YES, to love, proud parenting, and God's guidance, was renewed! 

Here I sit, typing with pride, as a woman, renewed with strength and the power to stand up for what's important to me!  

I certainly found strength in the weakness that God put before me this week, and I look forward to using that strength to slow the 'Rush', and focus on what's truly important!

May your upcoming week be full of Strength, and the power to stand up for what is important to you! 


1 comment:

  1. So well spoken! I had the same week full of craziness and I have leaned that work will always be there but family will not. I need to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life and not get caught up in the hustle and bustle. You are an amazing writer by the way:)

    ReplyDelete