Tuesday, October 25, 2016

True Friendship

Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

"True Friendship"....what are the characteristics of a true friend?   "Kind, tenderhearted, forgiving"....and I would add, trustworthy, caring, unselfish, and fun!   That certainly is not a complete list of the traits of a true friend, but it is a start...these are certainly the traits that I have been searching for all my life!  

In Ephesians, Paul writes about the traits of a true friend...
Paul was writing about union with Christ, but this certainly also applies to our lives and our friendships of all kinds!

Let's take a closer look at the above verses:

"No corrupting talk...but only for building up...to give grace..."   Wow!   That is quiet a trait!  I try to BE this friend, and always have.  How very important it is, especially for women, to have friends that build them up, not tear them down!   To have people in your life that give you grace in your weaknesses, is so powerful!  Giving grace to another, allows them to further give grace to themselves!  I have lived many situations where my friends have chose to condemn me, rather than give grace, and from experience, I can BOLDLY say, that grace from the people that surround us, is an important part of the road to giving grace to yourself! 

"Grieve the Holy Spirit", this means do not hurt your friends with your transgressions. Do not involve your friends.  Do not cause your friends to be burdened by your transgressions.  This does not mean that we shouldn't talk through life's difficult moments and situations with friends; no, it means that we should not overdo it, to the point that they are burdened too.  The only friend that naturally helps us carry our burdens, is our Heavenly Father!! 

And what a WONDERFUL friend He is! 

With a true friend, in a true and great friendship, there should be no "bitterness...anger....or slander".   True friends lift us up.  Good friends do not put us down, to others or to our faces.  Friends should strive to be calm and supportive in all things! 

Now, all that being said, I have realized over many years, that the ONLY being capable of holding true to those standards of a True Friend, all the time, is God!    I have learned to share all of my burdens, all of my trials, all of my happiness, all of my thoughts and dreams....EVERYTHING...with Him, who IS my True Best Friend Forever! 

Thank for venturing through those verses with me!   May God bless you with many Wonderful Friends and surround you with Grace and Love! 

*********************************************************
My Dear, Dear Readers, I am SO SORRY that it has been over a month since I have posted!   UGGGHH!   I feel terrible about that!!!   In my absence, I was very busy relocating my family to a new home.   It is so BEAUTIFUL, and I cannot wait to continue my ministry of Blogging, Writing, and Teaching, from a new location in God's Great Creation!! 

That being said...I just want to give you all a heads-up, that I will be posting less frequently over the next several months, as I am working diligently on my First Book! :) :) 
The topic is, much like this post, Loneliness and Friendship with God.   Please join me in excitement for this new Chapter for me and my ministry to God's Kingdom, and please give me Grace, dear friends, while I am somewhat consumed in writing my book! 

Peace to you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment