Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Live and Love like Mister Rogers

Recently, while researching for and writing a group Bible Study session about "Loving Your Neighbor," I kept coming across information about Mister Rogers. Quotes, Videos, and other forms of his inspiration flooded my Google searches.   

I felt confident that had something to do with the recent hit movie with Tom Hanks, portraying the life of Mister Rogers; but this is not at all the direction which I foresaw my Bible Study writing going...

I have not seen the movie (but am going to watch it as soon as I can, now that I am so inspired by Mister Rogers), but I learned so much more about Mister Rogers than I'd known before. 

Fred Rogers was a Pastor.  His ministry and calling in life was loving inclusively, like Jesus, and teaching others to love themselves and others in that same way. 

I remember watching Mister Roger's Neighborhood as a child, but I didn't remember just how positive and wonderful it's messages were. 

So, here are some of the things that I learned from Fred Rogers about Loving your neighbor: 

"Love is at the root of everything - all learning, all relationships. Love, or the lack of it."

"The greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they are loved and capable of loving." 

Mister Rogers heard the voice of God telling him to love people just the way they are. What a lovely example his life is, of a life lived loving others to his fullest ability. 

The term 'Love your Neighbor' is in over 100 verses in the Bible. That alone should be a indicator of just how important that Commandment and example given by Jesus is. 

If you find yourself thinking of your neighbor as only the families or people that live on the same street as you; Fred Rogers said that a 'neighbor' is everyone you come in contact with, every day. 

Think about that for a moment. 

In that case, we truly are to try to love everyone. 

Loving people, to me, doesn't have to mean hugs and kisses and heart-throbbing, although there are relationships in our lives that hold that kind of love.  To me, love your neighbor means to simply be kind, to accept them as they are and where they are, to show respect and help when needed. 

So, this Valentine's week.  Would you please consider sharing your love more fully to all around you? 

Doing so is sure to bring more happiness and love back to you as well.  Because, living a life of love is a beautiful thing! 

Go out and love your neighbors! 




No comments:

Post a Comment