Sunday, November 29, 2015

Mascara

Last Sunday, as I was rehearsing before services with the Worship Band, I found myself frantically searching through, and then emptying, my purse, in search of mascara.  You see, it is not uncommon for me to leave the house on any given morning, without having completed that finishing touch.   

I am usually running behind, just that tiny amount of time that it takes to apply mascara....

So, on most days, you could find 2 or 3 tubes of mascara in my purse (waiting to be applied at the first available moment). But last Sunday, there were none. 

I looked at myself in a compact mirror, and thought "Ugghh!  I really need mascara today!"  And, since I had already looked all through my purse and my vehicle, I didn't know what to do....

Well, we finished rehearsal unusually early.   I said to the other ladies "I have time, I am going to run to the grocery store to get some mascara."

I did.   I looked around that store for 5 minutes, and then asked a clerk, who responded "We don't carry any makeup items."   Bummer!   As I walked out to my vehicle, I thought 'There is a convenience store/gas mart nearby.  I will try there'....   So, I drove there.  Looked around for a bit.  Then, asked for help, and the individual replied "we haven't carried mascara for a while." 

Running low on time before the 1st church service at which I needed to sing, I felt it necessary to go back to the church (**sigh**)  without mascara....

Once back at the church, I dug through my purse once more, hoping for a tube of mascara to appear.   It did not.   I then went into the church, and took my normal spot up front.  It was time to sing.  Honestly, I felt somehow naked up there.  I couldn't shake the thought that 'No one here has ever seen me without mascara before.  I must look Ill or tired.  What will people think'....

I was very self-conscious for those first 4 minutes up front....  But then, the band began to play,  the music filled my heart, and my voice rang out in praise to God.  I was suddenly taken, mind and soul, to the place that I cherish most; the place in my heart where nothing is occurring but lifting up beautiful music to the Lord.   When I am singing with the worship band, I feel more free than anywhere else, and more connected, on a direct line, to the Lord, than any other time. 

I sang through the services.  Greeted many people, and smiled a lot.  I praised my God to the height of my ability; as I LOVE to do! 

It wasn't until I got home, and glanced in the mirror, that I remembered that I did not have mascara on.....   In that moment,  in front of the mirror, I was boldly reminded that God does not care how I appear during worship.  No one else really does either.  What the congregation is used to, and what helps them worship, and what feeds my soul more than any other praise, is singing unto the Lord!  
So why had I wasted even a moment looking for mascara? 

That morning, I had forgotten many things.  I had forgotten the reason I was there; to praise Him.  I had forgotten that the Lord only cares that you come before him and worship, NOT in what state you do so!  There is no requirement, none whatsoever, to appear before God and praise His Holy name!  

Apparently, I was out of sync with God.  I had put emphasis on something material, when the only emphasis having any business being on my heart that day was Praise of my Savior! 

May you be reminded by my story today, to praise God in all places, in all ways, and in all physical appearances.  Because, He loves our praise in every way given! 

Prayer:
Thank you Lord, for helping me see, for reminding me, that you will hear our voice and accept our praise, anytime, any way, and in any form that we offer it to You, mascara or not, ! Amen.

Psalm 27:4 NIV
"One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple."

No comments:

Post a Comment