Sunday, March 13, 2016

Honesty

Honesty... This is sometimes a difficult life goal to achieve.  In this World full of expectations and social pressures, it's hard to be honest all the time.  Life sometimes causes the easiest choice to be,  to lie to fit in or to "fib" to be accepted.  Sometimes when we've done something wrong, we are inclined to lie to cover up our wrongdoing.  I've been in situations where I cannot even decipher which person is being honest, and which is telling a lie....

I recently left a long term commitment, that I thought would be in my life for many more years, due to lack of honesty.  I was wrapped up in a situation where I was being asked to be dishonest.  The feelings that came with me being expected to deceive others, were unacceptable to me.  I was full of worry that I would somehow end up taking the blame for the dishonesty of those around me. 

Last week, I saw this image on Facebook: 


and it became clear to me that some of the people who were asking me to be dishonest, must not have been willing or able to handle the truth. Sometimes there are ways 'around' the truth, or 'around' the honest approach.   People see 'options' that make a lie of lesser importance, in their eyes... 

This must have been what was happening around me....
Others were able to somehow "justify" their dishonesty, to themselves, because of the notion that they were 'doing what was best', or that they 'deserved it'. 

Well, I was unable to continue in that commitment, because of the way this dishonesty affected my heart.   I knew that the approach being taken, was a dishonest approach to the situation.  My heart told me constantly, to question these actions....   And I did, but was still expected to move forward in a dishonest way. 

Eventually, I reached a mental place, where I could no longer accept this dishonesty.  I could no longer be involved in this behavior. 

So, I made a very difficult change in my life, to be true to my morals; to be honest. 

In hindsight, I am very pleased that I chose integrity over status, that I chose honesty over deceit.  

You see....MY heart is only at peace with honesty.   

I've been listening to a wonderful new song, over the past few weeks; and here are some of the lyrics: 

"Truth is harder than a lie." 
"Don't pretend to be something that you're not. Living life afraid of getting caught." 
"Mercy's waiting on the other side, if we're honest"
"There is freedom found, when we lay our secrets down." 


Please listen to this wonderful tune, 
"If We're Honest" by 

Francesca Battistelli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDcTvtuuVU8

Choose Honesty! It is the best way to feel at peace with life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment