Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Technology for Prayer?!

So often, the pace of modern life doesn't allow us to slow down enough to just feel God's love surrounding us.  We tend to run from one event to another, without even thinking; it just becomes habit.

I have been trying to make a conscious effort to intertwine Scripture, and thoughts about Faith, and prayers, more and more in the repetitive parts of my days. 

I even am voicing this blog post to my phone as I am exercising. :-)  Well, the workout started in a different way, but I'll get back to that in a minute...

We often hear such negative information about how much technology has taken over our lives.  And, in some ways I agree with that, but I want to share these GREAT ways that I have found, to utilize technology to intertwine more of God into my days. 

For about 6 months now, I have been waking up to Scripture, on my phone.  I have been daily using an App. that starts off my day, every day, with devotion & prayer. 

I have been listening to Christian radio, streamed through my laptop, throughout my whole day, and have found that whenever I feel a cranky mood coming on, all I have to do is turn up an uplifting Christian tune, and all is good!

Those 2 have been very soothing, easily accessible, ways to hear and read the Word of God a little bit throughout my whole day. 

Now, back to this workout....   Last week, I joined an email challenge titled "10 Day Prayer Zone Workout Challenge".  I didn't know much about what I was getting into, but I knew that I love and long for Prayer time, and that my body needs more exercise too!  

I began the first day of the challenge, by reading the daily email, while on the elliptical machine.  It didn't take long until I decided that I needed to download the App. that this email was discussing, the "Prayer Zone Workout" app. I did so quickly, and opened the app. to find calming music and thought provoking scripture designed to go hand-in-hand with a workout; right at my fingertips! 

Each day that I read the email and used the app. my workouts were better and better, and my connection to God in prayer, has been stronger than ever! 

Here is what the Day 3 email from Rachel Britton said about the type of Prayer that the app. promotes: 
"Our Father in heaven” is our prayer and exercise warm-up.  Focusing on who God is.
“Give us our daily bread” is our high-intensity prayer and exercise when we talk and ask God to meet our needs.
“Forgive us our debts” is our low-intensity prayer and exercise. We allow God to speak. 
“Lead us not into temptation” is our cool-down prayer and exercise when we ask God for protection as we go out into our day.

I am now on Day 7 of the challenge, and have exercised every day, and prayed at length, multiple times every day!  Amazing huh?  I mean, really....the last time that I exercised every day, was in college! 

I really wanted to share all of this information with my readers, and encourage you all to try using technology in your prayer life!  Definitely give the "Prayer Zone Workout" app. (www.prayerzoneworkout.com/app) a try! I hope you love it as much as I do! I mean, why not strengthen your relationship with God while strengthening your body, right?! 

Technology May have a bad rap for making us extreme multitaskers, but the blessing these apps have given me have shown me a new importance for modern technology!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are intrigued by the workout app. that I discuss above, I encourage you to also check out Rachel Britton's book, "Prayer Zone Workout: Spiritual and Physical Exercise for the Heart"!
For more information, see www.prayerzoneworkout.com

1 comment:

  1. Angie, I am thrilled that the app and the Prayer Zone Workout challenge have helped you connect with God in prayer. But, mostly I think it's because your heart yearned for Him and God has responded to your desire to spend time with Him. I hope the Prayer Zone Workout tools will continue to be a blessing. Oh, and I'm planning more challenges for the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete